Java is a popular programming language that can run on any platform that supports a Java Virtual Machine (JVM). Java allows developers to write portable, scalable, and secure applications for various domains, including web development. Tomcat is a popular open source web server and Servlet container for Java code.
2020Media usually installs Tomcat and Apache in our hosted Java enviroments as this offers the most flexibility and reliability.
Questions to ask a Java hosting provider
- What version of Java do they support and how can you update it?
- What kind of web server and Servlet container do they provide and how can you configure them?
- How much disk space, memory, CPU, and bandwidth do they allocate for your application and how can you monitor them?
- How do they handle security, backup, and recovery of your application and data?
- How do they support deployment and testing of your application and what tools do they offer?
- How do they charge for their hosting services and what are the payment options?
We’ll look at how 2020Media, the UK’s leading Java host, will answer these questions.
What version of Java do they support and how can you update it?
We support the latest stable version of Java, which is currently Java 17. We also offer backward compatibility with older versions of Java, such as Java 11 and Java 8. You can choose the version of Java you want to use for your application in your hosting control panel. We regularly update our Java installations to ensure security and performance. You can also update your Java version manually by following the instructions in our documentation or contacting our support team.
What kind of web server and Servlet container do they provide and how can you configure them?
We provide Apache Tomcat as our web server and Servlet container for Java applications. Tomcat is an open source software that implements the Jakarta Servlet and Jakarta Server Pages specifications. It is widely used and reliable for Java web development. You can configure Tomcat using various configuration files in the conf directory of your Tomcat installation. You can also access the Tomcat Manager web application to manage your deployed applications, start and stop them, and monitor their status and performance. We provide detailed documentation and support for using and configuring Tomcat on our hosting platform.
How much disk space, memory, CPU, and bandwidth do they allocate for your application and how can you monitor them?
We offer different hosting plans that suit different needs and budgets. You can choose the plan that best fits your application’s requirements and scale up or down as needed. Our hosting plans include the following resources:
- Disk space: This is the amount of storage space available for your application files and data. Our plans range from 10 GB to 100 GB of disk space.
- Memory: This is the amount of RAM available for your application to run. Our plans range from 1 GB to 8 GB of memory.
- CPU: This is the amount of processing power available for your application to execute. Our plans range from 1 core to 12 cores of CPU.
- Bandwidth: This is the amount of data transfer allowed for your application per month. Our plans range from 10 GB to 100GB bandwidth.
Bespoke setups are frequently created for customers, to make sure the environment is exactly what the customer needs.
How do they handle security, backup, and recovery of your application and data?
We take security, backup, and recovery very seriously and we implement various measures to protect your application and data. Some of these measures are:
- Security: We use SSL/TLS encryption to secure the communication between your application and the users. We also use firewalls, antivirus, and malware scanning to prevent unauthorized access and attacks. We also provide you with tools to manage your users and roles, and to enforce strong passwords and authentication methods. We also comply with the latest security standards and regulations, such as PCI-DSS, GDPR, and HIPAA.
- Backup: We perform regular backups of your application files and data, and we store them in a secure location. You can also download or restore your backups as needed.
- Recovery: We have a disaster recovery plan in place to ensure the availability and continuity of your application in case of any emergency or outage. We have redundant servers and network infrastructure to minimize downtime and data loss. We also provide you with support and assistance to recover your application and data as quickly as possible.
How do they support deployment and testing of your application and what tools do they offer?
We support various methods and tools for deploying and testing your application on our hosting platform. Some of these are:
- Deployment: You can deploy your application using a WAR file or by copying the files to the webapps directory. You can also use tools such as Maven, Gradle, Ant, or Jenkins to automate your deployment process.
- Testing: You can test your application using a browser or a tool such as curl or Postman to send HTTP requests to your application’s endpoints and check the responses. You can also use tools such as JUnit, TestNG, Selenium, or JMeter to perform unit testing, integration testing, functional testing, or load testing of your application. You can also use our hosting control panel to access the Tomcat Manager web application to manage your deployed applications, start and stop them, and monitor their status and performance.
How do they charge for their hosting services and what are the payment options?
We charge for our hosting services based on the plan you choose and the resources you use. We offer different hosting plans that suit different needs and budgets. You can choose the plan that best fits your application’s requirements and scale up or down as needed.
You can check our Java hosting pricing page for more details and compare our plans. We accept various payment options, such as credit cards, debit cards, direct debit or bank transfers. You can choose to pay monthly or annually, and you can cancel or change your plan anytime. We also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with our hosting services.